So, most of my "happy" life has come to an agonizing slow, almost halt and I finally have a reason! These past eight weeks (I can't believe it has been 8 weeks already!) have been a nightmare in the nursing department. Staring w/ the cracked nipples (sorry if TMI), then moving on to thrush, clogged ducts, and vasospasms- all of which I didn't know I had for about 3 weeks. At 5 weeks, I finally called the lactation nurse because of all the pain I was experiencing when I nursed AND after... for HOURS at a time. After hit and miss of different medications and tests, and trial and error, we finally got rid of the thrush, but I still am getting clogged ducts and vasospams. What are vasospams, you ask- basically, a migraine in the breast. Go figure. Sometimes babies clamp down too hard while nursing and cut off the blood supply, causing burning and sharp pains through the breast and throughout your entire body. They are caused by nursing. The thing is, if I don't nurse, I keep getting clogged ducts. Most often, I have both pains at the same time and HAVE to nurse to clear the clog. Typically, I have been down and out for the entire day, if this happens. Pumping doesn't work, as this is doing the same thing- different cone sizes and all. So, my only choices: 1) stop nursing, or 2) suffer through the pain. Sadly, I am trying to stop nursing, but still have to wean her, so I am still suffering some problems even doing this. I am sad I have to give it up, but realize I have to if I am going to survive. So life goes.
A few things I have learned. I really do enjoy nursing- when it doesn't hurt. Pumping really is a hassle and takes WAY too much time. Thrush is a beast to deal with... all the sterilizing, cleaning, laundry,...- ugh! I eat when I feel like crap- hence the whole WW not really working these past few weeks. Sleep and a healthy body (for the most part) are KEY to functioning and getting anything done. I can't wait for this chapter to be done and overwith!
7 comments:
I'm so sorry. All I've ever had is clogged ducts and that was enough pain for me. I hope you feel better soon.
Oh, the pain is terrible. Weening when you don't want to is so tramatic. I had to weene Logan early. He started bitting the whole time while he latched. Blood and pain!! Then he got thrush and I did too, since I had open sores. I feel so bad for you. Things do get better. It took me a long time to get used to giving him formula. I cried and cried. Call if you need to talk! I hope things get better. Go get the comfort gel pads to offer some relief. It is the only thing that helped me.
Sounds rough, I'm so sorry!! Hang in there.
I have no experience in this field whatsoever, so all I can say is I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this, you are a fabulous mom, and things will get better.
Ugh is right. So sorry!
That is horrible! I had pain for about 6 weeks and I thought it was horrible. I remember crying in bed in pain in the middle of the night. I can't even imagine what you have been going through. Sorry and good luck!
You know, they say that breast-fed babies are healthier---but my experience has been that Chris, adopted and formula-fed has been healthier overall than Jenn, natural baby and breast-fed.
Post a Comment