Sunday, November 1, 2009

UTAH - Beware - This is a LONG Post

When we heard Grandma Grace had passed, there was no question we would make the trek to UT to go to the funeral. After a lot of going back and forth, it was decided on Thursday to have the funeral on the following Monday, Oct. 26. The night we left on our road trip. Kevin and I scrambled to pack up the girls, the car, and everything we would need to come to UT. After driving to Seattle last year, we knew we had to have at least 4 days break after arriving to UT before we turned back. So, we jammed packed our little break with lots of visits and fun activities... for me at least!

We finally hit the road at 11pm on Thursday night. My dad was in Washington for business so my mom decided to drive up with us. Kevin took the first shift, mom, me, kevin, then me. Can I say yuck! and poor planing! None of us was capable of driving for more than 3 hours. We were just too tired. And unfortunately, whenever we stopped to change drivers, the girls woke up. It totally sucked. But, we arrived safely and a little crazy after the trip. Thankfully, we got to enjoy a great dinner and some R&R with my college roomie, Meg and her hubby Dan. It was SOO fun to catch up and hang out with all our kids. I was in desperate need of some good times with some old friends and they fit the bill! I just wish we had taken a picture together. :(

While in Utah, we stayed with the Morleys. They are yet another P-town transplant to UT. They were such wonderful hosts to let us crash their home with our crazy family. THANKS Morleys!!!

I decided before we left for UT that we would spend at least one afternoon/day in Provo to see how much BYU has changed since I left. To my surprise, not much has changed. A few buildings have been remodeled and built, one is completely gone, but for the most part-- it was home sweet home. As we started driving towards Provo I couldn't believe how excited I was getting. I truly loved my times at BYU and was so excited to visit the old stomping grounds. We all got BYU shirts and HAD to get a pic w/ the Y in the back. To our surprise, it was Homecoming and we got to see the parade. Is it me or was there always a homecoming parade? For some reason, I cannot for the life of me ever remember seeing one....Oh well. Go Cougars!

That night we went to visit Jodi and Kyle. We took our little families to dinner and had a great time catching up. Lots of fun!


Jodi & Family... girl #4 in the oven!
old friends = good times

My last condo/complex before graduating... aww memories!

Startin em' while they're young

okay... what is missing here?! What happened to the KMB??!!

How cute are we?


me and my future cougars

nothing beats the creamery after a lunch at the cougareat!
I am sure the students in the library were getting a kick out of watching them go up and down the hill over and over again. They LOVED it!



I loved all the fall colors... this I truly miss about UT
My first apartment - 179 Carroll Hall


I really wanted to take a drive down Provo Canyon. It was so pretty.



Sunday night was a viewing before the funeral. Ron and his family came up. It was so good to see them. Plus, Chloe was in heaven playing with all the girl cousins.
Dad, Coleen, Mark, Don, and Carol. Last Goodbyes

This may very well have been the last trip to 4600 Wellington St. I have so many good memories in this home. I will truly miss Grandma and her house.
When I was a kid, Gpa and Gma had this backyard full of vegetables and fruit trees- my favorite: corn on the cob!
The basement apartment housed MANY cousins from all the families through the years
playing in the leaves...
Where's Anja?

After the funeral we went downtown. I wanted to get a picture of my Gma and Gpa Wells' home. Although the memories I have at this home are few and faint, it is still cherished.
I remember being allowed to walk around the block while still very young when coming here to visit. This house is on first avenue downtown.
While in Utah, I tried hard to point out all the temples. Chloe was so excited to go and visit and so badly wanted to go inside.
The girls LOVED the Christus statue and "listening" to Jesus talk to them
Although the reason for going to Utah was a sad one, the trip was bittersweet. Gma Grace is now in heaven with Jesus, as Chloe often reminds us. I couldn't help but picture Grandma greeting Grandpa Jay and her loved ones with open arms and lots of smiles and hugs and laughs as they all gathered around her. I know she is happy and I will see her again. We will miss you Grandma.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sorry your grandma passed away. But, it looks like it was a fun trip!

All of your old stomping grounds were my stomping grounds, so thanks for the walk down memory lane. :) And really, where did the KMB go? Weird.

Anonymous said...

SO wish I hadn't had strep throat while you were here - I would have LOVED to see you and your family!! Looks like you had a great time...I had a moment of silence when I saw good ol' Stonebridge :)