Of the last three weeks, I have been sick for about 2/3's of them. It all started when I went for a walk. It has literally been MONTHS since I was able to go w/ the walking girls and get out of the house. It was great-except my groin started to KILL me. I walked most of the route, but by the time I separated w/ my friends, I had to call Kevin to come and pick us up - 1) I seriously could walk no further, 2) I REALLY had to pee. My knight in shining armor came to the rescue and took us home. I iced my leg, napped, then went to the chiropractor where he popped and stretched me like he never has! (I LOVE THE CHIROPRACTOR!). Saturday I was feeling a little better, but then got the most uncomfortable feeling in my stomach. I felt like someone was blowing a balloon up in my stomach and I was ready to pop. I was uncomfortable for hours and ended up missing church the next day b/c I was so sick. All day Sunday and most of the next week was spent in bed with Kevin, my mom, or my mother in law watching the girls. I literally was useless. This continued for a week- the stomach pains, an achy body, and no sleep. I finally was able to get some rest by taking a hot bath, popping tylenol, and laying down. I missed another Sunday of church, but started to feel better. Thankfully,I was able to hold down the fort while Kevin had his last week of finals- hallelujah! To celebrate.... I left town! Really, Kevin deserves a break just as badly as I did, but he let me leave for the weekend and go visit my good friend Mandy. I drove to Fresno on Friday and spent the next two days doing absolutely nothing. We hung out, ate pizza, watched movies, stayed up late, slept all night (by far the best medicine), and slept in. It is amazing what a break from reality can do for one's soul. Sadly, this trip came to a close too quickly. Sunday morning when I woke up, I got a call from Kevin. Our good friends had to rush to the hospital to deliver their baby 7 weeks early and Kevin took their son in the middle of the night. Thankfully, the new baby is doing well. So, Kevin had me rush home to help keep ship. It was a good thing I was well rested!
Sunday went well. The kids played well together, new baby and mom were doing well, we all felt great. Monday, I went to work and Kevin cleaned the house to prepare for my sister in law, Annie, and her girls to come for a visit. They arrived late Monday night and crashed into bed. Two hours later Charlie woke up and started puking. She was up all night puking on the hour. Since Kevin started class the next day, I was on duty all night. Unfortunately, after being w/ Charlie, Kevin got sick and started puking all night and the next day too. UGHH!! We thought it was something they ate until Wednesday I started to feel sick. The office was having a special farewell luncheon for one of the partners. Twice, I had to get up and toss my cookies- once in the bathroom and the second time in the back alley (the partner was literally giving his speech and was blocking the path to the restroom. My only out- a back employee entrance). After the luncheon, my sister drove me home and I went straight to bed. An hour later, my sister came up and told me Chloe started puking as did two of my nieces!!!
I was useless and Kevin, Annie, and Shannon had to man the ship. Thankfully, Annie's girls only threw up once, but Chloe wouldn't stop and couldn't keep anything down. By 7pm, Kevin was on the phone w/ the doctor deciding whether or not to take her to the ER. I came down stairs b/c I heard Charlie crying and crying. I got her and came down stairs to see Chloe and Anja both on the couch w/ big bowls next to them. Chloe had figured it out. How sad. Everytime she started to heave, she turned her head into the bowl and held her hair back. She would say, "mommy, I not feel good." It was one of the most pathetic things I have ever seen. She looked so sick and tired. Kevin decided it was time to take her to the ER as she was really dehydrated and starting to get really limp, etc. I called my VT, Rosemary -what a lifesaver!! Annie could then focus on her girls, Rosemary took Charlie (who was totally neglected all day) and I just sat on the couch in my robe too sick to do anything but watch what was going on around me.
Annie's girls were feeling better and got to bed. Rosemary finally got Charlie calmed down and into bed and Kevin was on his way to the ER. Me- still sitting on the couch like a lump. By the time Kevin got to the ER, Chloe had fallen asleep. He decided to let her sleep b/c she was so weak and tired. When she woke up an hour later and started heaving again, he took her in.
NOTE: I hate Kaiser and will never go back if I can help it. They had to wait an hour and still nothing. A couple people were seen and still nothing. A couple in front of Kevin in line stormed out of some doors complaining they still would have to wait another 2 hours before being seen... COME ON??!! This is the ER - you should be able to be seen fairly quickly!!!! At this point, Chloe was asleep in Kevin's arms and he decided to bring her home. She hadn't thrown up since they got there and he didn't want to wait until 2 in the morning to be seen. We made her a small bed on our floor and hoped for the best. Thankfully, she only woke up to tell us she was hungry. No more puking!! :)
So, today, we are spending our day recovering and trying to get our tummies full and our bodies hydrated. As each week goes by, I am becoming more and more convinced this is our last pregnancy. I don't mean to complain, I am just facing the facts. I am tired and worn out. The thought of ever repeating any of this is depressing. I can't wait for this new baby to come and hopefully close this chapter and open a new and bright, happy, more upbeat chapter in our lives. If not anything else- at least a healthier one! :)
I have to say one last thing: KEVIN IS AMAZING. He is the best dad and nurse. I am lost and utterly useless when he isn't feeling well. When is is healthy (most of the time, thankfully), he is the BEST and takes care of everything. He did so well w/ Chloe yesterday just holding her and trying to comfort her. I am so glad I have him. Kev, you truly are the Captain!
6 comments:
Oh my gosh...you poor thing! I am so glad you guys are all starting to feel better!
So lets hang out soon. I miss the Andrus crew...
Jason
oh wow. i'm tired just reading about it. hope everyone is feeling better!
What a time you have had being pregnant and being sick, especially this last bout with the stomach flu. Puking is awful and being dehydrated is really serious. I'm so sorry you and the others were all so sick. I remember when Jenn was little and if she got the stomach flu, I'd take her to the doctor and he would give her suppositories because she would throw up for 18 hours without them. I'm glad to know that you are all on the mend. No more sickness!
Wow, I feel so humbled that even though you guys were on your deathbeds, you still helped us out. I am so sorry for everything that you went through - I was really worried about you after the walk. I should have done something about it. Once again, thank you SO MUCH for taking care of Aiden for us when we were at the hospital. You guys are the bestest, sweetest, and most reliable friends we have ever had. Seriously. Thank you.
Holy Cow! I feel so terible for you guys. There is nothing worse than being pregnant and dealing with all that. I hear ya on being done with the baby thing. My 3rd one was terrible. Everyday I told myself there would be no more, and how did I let Michael talk me into this??? Now, I can hardly remember all of that...(to some point) Get better...we need to hang out before I leave and never come back.
Post a Comment