We got it out! Can you believe it? After Kevin and I (mostly me) spent about 2 hours on the floor scrubbing the carpet, the spot is about 97% gone. I have learned a few things:
1) I really should have taken a picture when I started... I wasn't optimistic going into the clean up, but it really is a shame I can't share our victory w/ a before and after.
2) The internet is amazing. After going through the Folex, I found online a tip for using Rubbing alcohol to remove ink from carpet... it lifted what the Folex couldn't, leaving just a dark color on the "bottom" part of the carpet.
3) I WANT A KIRBY. Kirby vacuums are absolutely amazing and the price tag shows it. My mother has one and this was round three on the spot. After using the rubbing alcohol (which of course made the room stink), I sent Kevin to go and get my mom's Kirby vacuum/carpet cleaner. I set up the cleaning system and worked on the spot for about a half hour to remove what the previous elbow grease couldn't.
4) It really makes a difference to work on a fresh stain as opposed to one that has dried. ALWAYS act when the stain is fresh!
5) Whatever I haven't used in at least 6 months - craft wise, ink wise, etc.- I really need to HIDE or toss. I have no idea where the ink came from. I didn't even remember I had rubber stamps. The fact that Chloe and Charlie found them both... typical. They are quite the pair of little trouble makers.
And there you have it. I hope I never have to clean my carpet like that again, but if I do... at least I know what works!
4 comments:
What a hard thing to be pregnant and have to scrub carpets. I'm glad that your hard work paid off and the stains are gone and the stress and worries are resolved.
Way to go!! Thanks for the tips... I'll be sure to add Folex to my household stock list.
Rubbing alcohol, who'da known??
Folex? Never heard of it. But, very informative! Rubbing alcohol? I love the internet for silly, random stuff like that. For instance, there was a mockingbird that made a next near my front door and then once the eggs hatched it got OVERprotective and went for my head when I was coming to or leaving my front door1 YIKES! The internet saved the day. . . random information when you need it most!
I am impressed that you stuck it out so long. Ethan colored with permanent marker on my coffee table the other day and I googled a solution that totally worked. Color OVER the permanent marker with a dry erase marker and erase. It came right out. Another internet cure a la Ethan...mayonnaise will take crayon off real wood surfaces. Good for you for getting it out!
Post a Comment