My mom and I bought a lot of cans to can more food at home. Two reasons for doing this: 1) It was actually cheaper to buy the food and cans seperately and use the stake canner to can it ourselves. 2) The cannery didn't have some of the foods we wanted to can, so we figured we would do it at home. So today, mom, dad, Kevin, and I spent about 2 hours of canning (mostly mom :P) and built up our storage a little more. We canned about 36 cans of goods; my mom canned about 50! We are NO WHERE near what we need to have saved, but I feel a lot better with what we have now. We almost have a 3 month supply of the staples, but we definitely need more WATER!! and the small things like oils, spices, etc.... the stuff that spoils quickly and that we as a family, don't use very fast. We will have to do some planning.
I have also been thinking about evacuations... I don't know what disaster would cause us to leave our area... perhaps earthquake damages?? SO-- I went onto a website and got some more information as to what we need and how much in case we needed to leave our home quickly. It is a little daunting to think we would have to pick up and leave at a moment's notice, but it is even scarier to think that we wouldn't have any clue as to what we have and need in that event. One of my goals this year: GET READY! for whatever may come. If ye are prepared... ye shall not Fear, right?
We filled the back of my mom's expedition w/ boxes of Cans to store our food
5 comments:
Wow, Super Woman! I am way impressed! Yeah, we have NOTHING prepared for emergencies. Awful, I know. I would have loved to go to the cannery, but there's the whole space issue. I wouldn't know where to keep it. All the nooks and crannies are already taken up with baby supplies and, now, our bulky outside toys. ::grumble grumble:: One day we will have more space. One day. In the meantime, you are my idol.
It is a big responsibility to acquire food, water, first aid supplies, clothing, flashlights, batteries, hand-cranked radio, sleeping bags, pads, pillows, activities for children, prescription medicines, personal care items, etc. Plus, many things have to be re-evaluated and/or rotated regularly. You're doing a great job and getting a good start! Preparedness is essential!
Wow. I am IMPRESSED. And incredibly jealous of your space to store it.
That's awesome. Good job. Wanna help me?
We are working on this now too. Except we don't have anywhere to put it! It is overwhelming, but we can do it together! In Pittsburgh, we had a 3 months supply of everything, and it is going to be so much work to get it back up.
Post a Comment