Monday, February 9, 2009

Changes

So, this New Year has brought some unexpected changes. On Fast Sunday in January, I got up and bore my testimony for the changes and excitement the New Year brings, for the blessing of repentance and the changes we can make in our lives to create more harmony in our lives and in our family. I also mentioned how glad I was 2008 was over and how I was hoping for a BORING 2009. What a jinx!

No more than two weeks later, Kevin was laid off.

I was coming home from my first pre-natal visit and I got a call from Kevin from my friend's cell phone. He said he was laid off. Needless to say, we were both quite upset and I don't think my friend will ever look at either of us the same again. :)

The first few days we were very depressed, stressed, unsure, and very emotional as the thoughts of a new baby, insurance, bills, and a horrible job market loomed over us. Kevin tried to make contact with some old employers, but to no avail. After much thought, counseling with my dad, and prayers, we came up with a new game plan, that for now we are very grateful for.

Kevin is now a full time student! If he can get all his classes (cross your fingers) for summer and fall, he could potentially graduate in December- May 2010, if SJSU is a pain and doesn't offer enough classes in the summer term. Kevin has class Monday through Thursday night and Monday and Wednesday during the day. He is taking a full 18 credit load AND playing Mr. Mom.

I am now working about 30 hours a week. I work Mondays and Wednesdays at home (like I have been doing) while the girls nap and after they go to sleep. On Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, Kevin is home with the girls and I go into the office to work. We now split the household chores pretty evenly... well we will once Kevin figures out how to get the house work done while the girls are playing. :)

This situation allows us to keep the girls at home, get health insurace, make some money, accelerate the degree, keep us extremely poor, and not see each other for more than 30 minutes on given days. BUT, we feel so blessed that this arrangement is working out.

Typically, I only work UP TO 20 hours a week. With tax season beginning, I have more than ample opportunity to work more hours and make more money and get health insurance. Kevin, "luckily" was able to add all his classes he needed this semester the day classes began. We are getting a nice tax refund and are now applying for financial aid. We have never taken out a student loan and are grateful we have never had to, but realize now is the time to literally become starving students and take a loan as Kevin finishes his degree.

These past few weeks have brought a roller coaster of emotions and fears as we step into the unknown with only one income... not even that as I am not working full time. We are grateful for our friends and family who are such great supports during this undesirable time. We are grateful we have a plan. We are grateful we have a goal and an end in sight (at least for graduation). So to you few who actually read this... Cheers! 2009 is going to be a great year no matter what the year brings for you or me. I for one, am excited to see how this year will pan out.

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow! You have your hands full, but as usual, you are doing it all very well. Congrats to Kevin for getting his school done, and what a blessing that you can work. It is amazing how things can really turn out. Good luck with everything ahead of you and I'm glad to share the title of "starving student" with you guys, it is a great time of life! (I mean that literally)

Beth said...

We went through a similar situation last year and I know how hard it can be. Sounds like you guys have a great plan and I am sure everything will work out.

Melinda said...

I feel so bad for you guys. It is a hard time indeed. We have decided that 2009 is going to be "One of those Years." We had a pretty normal 08, except having a baby, so we thought to mix up 09. Michael is leaving for another training academy. We'll be back together in August. So here is to 2009!!

MegT said...

Now five people read your blog!! More than mine. You are great, and having been a student couple for 9 years, I know you can do it. Love you lots!