So, I am know officially embarking into the unknown and intimidating political spectrum of the goverment- campaigning. I was asked to be one of our ward's zip code specialists for the Grassroots campaign to support Proposition 8. Thankfully, I do not have to go door to door, but I get to organize and recruit volunteers to help support this very important proposition on the ballet in November. I went to training on Wednesday night and learned some important facts about this initiative:
1) We are Pro-Marriage -- not anti-gay
2) Approx 23 states in the US have in their state constitutions that marriage is between a man and a woman
3) We are voting on this issue again b/c in 2000 we added this wording to the state law, not the state constitution (which is why 4 of only 7 CA supreme judges overturned the vote). This vote will put the same phrase into the CA constitution, thus making it impossible for judges to overturn the vote. The only way it could be changed is if the people of CA voted to amend the constitution to change the definition.
4) In 2000, 61% of Californians voted that marriage is defined as a man and woman
5) This effort needs A LOT of help and volunteers to get the word out and get those who support Prop 8 out to vote. If you are interested in helping (lots of different opps), let me know!
I am actually really excited to get involved and hope that we can get a lot of support and help from friends and family. This is a sensitive subject - for obvious reasons - but I think of the consequences and the future if this prop doesn't pass. Anyone who wants to help, visit www.protectmarriage.com
Protect the Family- go out and vote!
1 comment:
You are perfect for the job! Wish we could help in some way from out here in Michigan. Good luck and can't wait to see how it turns out.
Post a Comment