Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My soap box

I admit it. I am currently watching the "Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman" series. I love it. Not only are Sully and Matthew still incredibly good looking, but it really is a good clean show. Last night I was watching an episode where the town is voting for a new mayor and Sully helps a captured Indian escape. Of course, Dr. Mike has to save the Indian because he gets shot. She then is put in jail for helping him. In the end, she is released, duh. But, the soldier who lets her out of jail still is ticked off because she broke the law- good intentions or not. He then poses the questions, "What if everyone chose what they thought was right?" Meaning, whether or not you did a good thing, you broke the law. Brian then questions his parents motives and then comes.... the teaching moment. Ahhh... those unforgettable, music slowing, and the lesson comes. Is it me or are there no longer those "teaching" moments on shows? Remember Full House? Family Matters? Every show undoubtedly had a problem and a resolution or lesson that was summed up in the last few minutes with the "lesson" music.

Am I just out of touch? Am I not watching the right shows? Are they still on and I am not watching them? This is the main reason we have gotten rid of cable (again). There aren't any good shows on anymore. Sure, there may be a few on some of the kids channel, but the shows on all the regular channels- trashy.

When I was a kid, I knew of two families that didn't watch TV. One was able to watch movies, but that was it. I thought that was SOOO weird when I was a kid. Surely, there was nothing wrong with the shows on TV. Now, I feel differently. Surely, there is nothing right with the shows today--at least not enough right for me to justify watching it. Like I said, I am sure the kids channels hare enough decent shows, but for the most part cable is lacking.

And there you have it. I have said my peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Dr. Quinn!! Sully was one of my celebrity crushes, too.

I must have cable for "learning" shows - TLC, HGTV, and A&E. I love Hoarders, Intervention, House Hunters, Designed to Sell, Income Property, oh, I could go on & on! I do watch "Dancing with the Stars," and Todd and I love "How I Met Your Mother" and "Rules of Engagement." There are still good shows out there, but they are definitely few & far between!

And, PS, the TVLAND channel has re-runs...Full House, Cosby Show (LOVE IT!) and more. You just have to look at the Guide.

yes, I am a couch potato. My husband works nights - I have nothing else to do during the week!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and PS - GLEE is AWESOME!! Not necessarily kid-friendly, but oh, man. I think you would LOVE it!